Monday, August 6, 2012

Tenn-Speed Cycle Review

Yesterday, we brought you one of, if not the, first review of Ben 10: Galactic Racing for the 3DS. Today, we have the first (probably) review of one of the first Omniverse vehicles: the Tenn-Speed Cycle! This bike of Ben's will be in the show, as confirmed by Derrick, and is also the first Omniverse toy to grace the shelves of my local target. So how is it? Read on!

(I apologize in advance for my poor photography)





The box is a nice shade of green, with some pictures of both Bens gracing the front and back. The front advertises two vehicle modes and two missiles, while the back advertises Rook's Proto-Truk, which has two vehicle modes and SIX missiles. One thing I loved about the box is that it has abandoned the difficult to open packaging of UA and returned to the easy to open, tear-off packs of AF.


The contents of the box: the Cycle, Ben, two missiles as promised, and instructions.


Instructions because why the hell not

    
 

 
Here's Ben. I have a few problems with him. First, his articulation is horrible. His legs don't move at all, and his arms only move at the shoulders. I get that it's probably to make him fit into the vehicle, but seriously. I anticipate this guy being useless in play (not that I play with my Ben 10 toys...*obvious lie*). His head is on a ball joint, which is good, but it doesn't make up for his legs. At least Gwen's moved. My other problem stems from the leg issue...because of the pose they are locked into, when Ben stands, he is bent at an odd angle. You can see this in some of the pictures above. It makes him look like an old guy with a bad back.

Just a side observation, but notice that he is wearing the Omnitrix, just painted black. Silly Bandai.

 

 

 

 

Now for the set's main attraction: the cycle. It has two modes. Mode one is closed-top. In this mode, you can store the missiles behind the back wheel. In mode two, you open the top. From here, you can launch the missiles (basic flick-fires). This mode looks weird, though, and I plan on keeping my cycle in mode one, except to get Ben in and out and fire the missiles. As far as putting Ben in goes, it is quite easy and quick, which is refreshing for someone used to the hassle of getting the characters into Bionicle vehicles. I already said that mode two looks weird, but mode one looks like a cool alien vehicle, and I quite like the aesthetic it gives off. As far as show accuracy goes, though, I can't judge.

Final scores:

Ben: 3/5
-Articulation: 1.5/5
Cycle: 4/5

Total: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment